Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mansfield Park 1983


What I Liked: I liked the cast far more than I thought I would. I own the pink covered dvd and well, it didn't instill me with much hope of it being very good. Now if I'd had the UK version... it's just a far superior design and picture. Edmund was far more attractive than I had hoped - although he's still no Colin Firth or Rupert Penry-Jones! I thought Fanny was well portrayed. She is a very strong woman and doesn't back down on her decisions/beliefs even though she receives many a scolding for her choices. There were a lot of familiar faces in this movie. I think I've seen almost every actor in some other movie be it a period romance or James Bond.


What I Didn't Like: Well, the cinematography was not much to praise, that's for sure. I expected it, so it wasn't a surprise to me. When they were riding in the carriage it seemed like they used a handheld camera and both mom and I were a little bit motion sick. The movie itself was very long! It took my mom and I three whole days to get through the six episodes. The ending wrapped up far too quickly. I kept looking at the time during the last episode and wondering when are they going to start wrapping this story up? When it was all over my mom said, "It was too a quick wrap-up for all that we've endured!" I agree. I feel like this was an endurance for us to get through. That's not to say I disliked it, but you have to be very committed to finishing. I didn't like the actor they chose for Henry Crawford. He reminded me of a chipmunk. The scene where Fanny is crying to Sir Thomas because she can't marry Mr Crawford was too over the top for me. It's supposed to be sad and yet, I wanted to laugh. I really wanted to see a proposal scene and yet all we got was hand holding. I find it funny that Fanny and Edmund never kissed and yet Maria and Henry kissed passionately twice!

Other Notes: Honestly, I don't like the story of Mansfield Park.  I started reading the novel, but got half-way through and decided it just wasn't for me. I rarely put down a book when I'm that far along, but it just wasn't interesting to me!

 Fanny Price

 Edmund Bertram

 Aunt Norris

 Lady Bertram

 Sir Thomas Bertram

 Julia & Maria Bertram

 Mr. Rushworth & Maria with Edmund in the background

 Henry & Mary Crawford

 Susannah Price

The wedding of Fanny & Edmund. You can see Tom Bertram behind Edmund and Fanny's father behind her.

No comments: