Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Mansfield Park 1999

Things I Liked: I saw this back in 1999 in the theaters and disliked it immensely. I'd like to say that twelve years later, I find my opinion has changed. It wasn't nearly as awkward or incestuous feeling. I've always thought the relationship between Fanny and Edmund in this version was rather incestuous, but in watching it again, I didn't find it to be so. (Yeah the marrying cousins thing is weird, but I was able to get past it.) There seemed to be a lot more romance between Fanny and Edmund, which was a welcome change from the 1983 version. The hand holding in the carriage was quite nice. I liked the pacing of this movie. Two hours really was enough time to tell this whole story. I loved Fanny's stories. I think they added a fancifulness to her character that was fun. I loved Susie! I'm a fan of Sophia Myles, so it was quite likely I'd like her. I really enjoyed the relationship between Fanny and Susie. I also really like James Purefoy and was rather sad that his character has such a minor role in the movie. I loved when Fanny told Mrs. Norris off in the end. It was quite satisfying. I liked at the end when Fanny talks about how it could have been different - but it wasn't.

Things I Didn't Like: I feel they took this movie in some very modern avenues that were not very austenesque. Sir Thomas was all sorts of creepy. He just made your skin crawl. Mary Crawford was way too touchy with Fanny - to the point that you wonder if she is gay. Then there are the disturbing images in Tom's notebook. Honestly, it's hard to get them out of your brain once you've seen them. I think Jane Austen would have been horrified to see that scene! I didn't like how they made Fanny second guess whether Henry Crawford was a decent man. I disliked that she accepted and then rejected his proposal. It didn't seem in keeping with Fanny's character. I did not need to see Maria and Henry en flagrante delicto. It was just so awkward.

Other Notes: I thought it was funny that Lady Bertram and Mrs. Price were played by the same actress. This movie was my first exposure to the glass harmonica. I would love to play on one of those.

 Young Fanny

 Maria and Julia

 Henry and Mary Crawford

 Lady Bertram and Pug

 Mrs. Norris

 Susie Price

 Mrs. Norris and Maria

 Tom, Sir Thomas, Susie, Julia and Lady Bertram

 Edmund and Fanny


2 comments:

Lisa Chin said...

Just realized that Edmund was the star of the TV show Eli Stone. We were very sad when that show was cancelled. Oh and he was also Mr. Knightley in the recent Emma. Anyway - This is my least favorite version of Mansfield Park because there were so many creepy things going on. The sketches have scarred me for life and I watched it when I was an old woman! But my children do tell me I am still a teenager. ;)

BeckieB said...

Just have to say, I love how you used the phrase "en flagrante dilecto" in this post. Awesome.