Pages

Friday, February 16, 2007

Twilight Chagrine or Obsession?

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. Ok, I am actually a chagrined to admit that I read this book. It's a YA book about high school vampires. I mean how much dumber could this get. Let me start back a minute, my cousin Haley has been after me to read this book - probably since September. But I am the regency romance type. Jane Austen. Not vampires and not high school ones. Although, to digress, I really enjoyed reading Dracula, by Bram Stoker. But really that's a classic, right? So, she asked me again a few weeks ago if I had read it and so I finally picked it up from the library. I so didn't want to read it though - it was at least 500 pages and I just wasn't into reading 500 pages of something I wasn't really interested in. Well, I have one week before it's due back and on Tuesday I decided to just sit down and start it. I started reading that night at nine and at midnight I finally forced myself to go to bed. (It's important to mention that I am very committed to watching Scrubs re-runs at ten pm, but totally skipped them this night!) Then the next day (Valentine's Day) I was busy, but seemed to read little bits of it all day. Pretty much any snippet of time I had, I read. I had my downtown lunch bunch, walking Ryan's dogs up at tanner park with Ryan, piano lessons, valentines to deliver and home teachers. Yeah, it was crazy, but the worst part was that I just wanted to hole up in my room and read this absurdly enchanting book. So I have now finished it and probably re-read it at least twice and it's only Friday. I loved it. I can't even tell you much I loved it. Stephenie Meyer did an exceptional job with the characters and story. It just absorbed me from the first moment and I couldn't seem to get away. I am actually going out today to buy it and a copy of the sequel today. I can't seem to get enough of it. I love to re-read books that I enjoyed reading, for like a week afterward - well I have to say this one has unknowingly reached a place in my "books I love" list. Oh, how pathetic am I.

No comments: