A week or two ago I went to the airport to pick up my friends. On the way, I looked out my window toward downtown and saw that the top of one of the buildings had blinking blue lights. As I got closer I was able to read that it was the Walker Bank building. I pointed it out to my mom (who was driving because, as most people know, I don't like to drive. I can and will drive, I just prefer others to. But ask anyone I've driven with, they will tell you that I am one fantastic navigator). She said that the Walker building has been the weather forecast beacon for the city ever since she could remember. She couldn't remember what the different colors meant or the blinking, but she remembers seeing it when she was younger. Now, I think that I am a very observant person, but I had never noticed this phenomenon before. So, I went home and looked it up (after I picked up my friends of course).
The Walker Building had been used to tell the city what the weather was going to be the following day. However, several years ago they were forced to put a stop to it, due to some city or air regulations. I didn't really follow that part. Well anyway, in the last year or so they were able to put the tower on the historical register and rebuild it. Which they have done. As of March of this year, the building has continued it's long standing tradition. It again tells the city what the weather will be like tomorrow. By far this is one of the coolest things I have learned about our city.
Here's the guide, if you want to know:
Blue means clear skies
Flashing Blue means cloudy skies
Red means rain
Flashing Red means snow.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment