Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Salt Lake Temple Remodeling

Early Saturday morning, as in 12:00 am, I went with at least twenty other members of my ward down to the Salt Lake Temple to help with the remodeling of the temple. Our shift was from 12:00 am to 4:00 am. We were able to go in some of the tunnels around temple square, specifically the tunnel from the Conference Center to the temple.

Most of my ward spent their time in two of the ordinance rooms removing chairs, salvaging the metal and plastic and pulling up the carpet. I helped with the chairs for about ten minutes and then went with two other girls to take down some of the wallpaper by the locker rooms. We only had to take it down about a foot from the ceiling because they were going to redo the ceiling. Evidently there was asbestos in it.

Then, one of the other girls and I became the go-to girls for the guy in charge. We moved furniture, took down drapery poles, gathered screws, taped down protective covering over the floors and swept a white, chalky dust on the carpet removed floorboards so they were no longer sticky. Amazingly, the time flew by.

A couple of guys from the ward had to mess with sheet metal and the heating ducts. I think that was the worst and dirtiest job. It was fun to help out, especially with a lot of friends. Although, it was really great to walk through the maze of hallways and find out where a great number of the doors led to. I got home at 4:30 am, took a shower and was in bed around 5:00 am. I didn't wake up until 11:30 am. It was worth it though.

1 comment:

Lisa Chin said...

I'm surprised you all didn't go out to breakfast or Dee's or Denny's or something at that time - guess you were all too tired after all that work! Sounds like a great experience!