Oh it was quite the day at the library, to put it mildly. I will try to put the events as they occurred.
A man came up to the desk and asked if it was ok if he talked to his computer. We said that if bothered other patrons the answer was no. He said it was bothering other people, but he really needed to contact someone (who? I don't know!) and let them know about the UFO above the library that was going to blast us any second. Since I'm writing this post several hours later, the 'blasting' never happened. Too bad. The funny thing was, was that he wasn't the only person raving about UFOs and aliens at the library during that time.
A little while later another man came up to the desk complaining about something. We couldn't really understand him because his teeth were mostly hanging out of his mouth. The librarian at the desk asked him to put his teeth back so we could understand him. Instead, he spit them out into the middle of the welcome desk area on the floor. The other librarian goes and grabs like 10 Clorox wipes to pick up the teeth. While she's doing it the guy says he can just come get them. We say that that's fine. He comes in and before he picks them up he beats them with the umbrella he's holding. It was like he was trying to hack them. Pieces of the denture broke off. In the end he picked them up and cussed his way out of the library.
The other librarian, when the man started beating his teeth went to get security, but he was gone (hallelujah!) before they arrived. As we was leaving we notice a man laying on the ground outside of the library and we ask the security guard if he knows anything about that. Both the librarian and the guard go to investigate. A few seconds later, the librarian comes back saying, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, holy crap." (I toned down the language a little.) Evidently the man out there had jumped from the emergency stairs four or five floors up. He was dead. Oh, did I mention that it was just 10:15 am?
So, then the police come and investigate for the rest of the morning. There were all sorts of rumors and speculation as to the circumstances. I can't wait to go back next week and get the rest of the details filled in. The crazy thing was that there was only one or two witnesses. I mean this guy landed right outside the front entrance to the library. Several people even walked past him without saying anything.
In the meantime the police secure the area which means there's no access in or out of the library through the front door. One man in a wheelchair started harassing the police officer saying that he couldn't tell him what to do. That lasted until the police officer said "Sir, we're dealing with a dead body. You'll have to exit through the other doors."
Then there's the lady that said she lost her phone in the library. She gives us her number and we call it to see if we can hear it ringing. No luck. So, then she just starts pacing around the library. She wasn't doing anything wrong, but she was making us a little anxious. A different librarian asks her is she needs some help and she says that she needs to leave the library, but she can only leave through the front door. She was shown the other doors, but said it had to be the front doors. With the amount of pacing she did, she could have walked around the perimeter of the library at least 17 times! When the police finally open up the front entrance, she is the first person out the door.
And last, but not least, (although it seems rather anticlimactic now) were the two people walking around with tails hooked to their body. One was a fox, the other a wolf. I think. Just odd!
So, how was your morning?
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
That is crazy! I haven't heard anything on the news about it either. It is silly what things do make the news and what things don't. I always tell the girls that a lot of news doesn't make it on TV just because the news doesn't have a photo or video. I suppose if there is no salacious story to back it up they don't want to cover it. Sad.
I love the teeth story...it gave me a good laugh. My morning does not compare. I'm amazed by the types of people roaming your library. That's sad about the man who committed suicide.
I don't know about the rest of it but I have had a run in with the people with tails. They call themselves fuzzies, that is people who choose to express themselves through anthropomorphic means. It is interesting to me that they don't sound less weird when I explain it like that.
Ryan
Such an interesting place to work.
Post a Comment