Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Emma 2009

I won't lie. I think this is my favorite version of this story! Goodness knows I've watched the ending hundreds of times!

Emma

Mr. Woodhouse and Emma

Mr. Knightley - I really like Johnny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley. He has just the right balance of charm and sternness.

Front row: Mr. Woodhouse, Emma and Mrs. Weston. Second row: Mr. Knightley and Miss Bates

Isabella, John and Mr. Knightley. I love how the boys call Mr. Knightley Uncle George. I've never really like that his name was George, but the boys calling him that really endeared the name to me.

Hartfield. The gardens alone make this a beautiful estate!

Donwell Abbey

Mr. Martin

Harriet

Mr. Elton and Harriet. I love how Mr. Elton is portrayed. He's so conceited and full of himself. I love how Mr. Knightley says "That man is so full of himself, I'm surprised he can stay on his horse." A perfect description of him.

Emma, Mr. Elton and Mrs. Weston

Mrs. Elton. She was well cast. She plays such a good nasty character!

Emma and Mr. Knightley

I love the dance scene. It's where you can really tell that Mr. Knightley is in love with Emma. Their conversation before they dance shows how Emma has matured from the beginning of the movie, which I think is what Mr. Knightley was waiting for her to do.

I love that their dance isn't the usual period romance song that the hero and heroine always seem to dance to. I like how lighthearted and fun this one was.

Part of me wonders if Mr. Knightley was testing the waters (so to speak) with Emma when he says, "You look so at home here, you might be be mistress of this house." It's certain that he'd like her to be, but isn't really sure of her affections.

Emma and Frank Churchill at Box Hill. I think they portrayed this scene well. I liked how when everyone left Frank let show his true feelings of discontent, so different from the face he showed everyone else.

One of my favorite things they did at the end of this movie was focus on Emma and Mr. Knightley's hands. In this scene he is leaving to go to his brother's house (to forget Emma). I think this is the first time that he's taken her hand and bowed over it as a suitor would. Which totally flusters Emma and starts her thinking down the right path of her own heart and its' desires.

Harriet telling Emma of her love for Mr. Knightley

The proposal. I think the lead up to this moment is great. The range of emotions they both go through to get to this moment is amazing. There's wonder, hope, despair, disbelief, concern and ultimately love. I love how open and vulnerable he is during his proposal. It makes her acceptance even more wonderful!

And this scene. How I wish all period romances had such a scene where the hero and heroine dissect when they first fell in love with each other or how it all came to be. I love this!!!

Maybe the funniest scene in the whole movie to me. Emma saying "You know I love you, and I always will, but we can never marry. That is all!" Then his utter disbelief and confusion at her bizarre outburst. Classic!

I loved the show of unity and support that their holding hands shows here, when they're telling her father of their newly formed engagement.

Holding hands in church during Harriet and Mr. Martin's marriage.

John and Isabella. I love this scene between the two of them. He always seems such a stick in the mud and here you can really tell that they're still in love with each other.

Off on their "mysterious honeymoon."  The contentment between the two of them. I love how excited he is for her to see the sea. He knew exactly what she most wanted to see.

I really love this version. I think it's mostly due to this last episode. They really complete the story to my satisfaction. I don't feel left wanting, like I do in many of the great period romance movies. I think I watch the ending like twenty times after I finish the movie. Not all at once, but over the next week or two. I just love it! And I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Jane Austen and period romances!

No comments: