Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Fire! Fire! Fire!

I got to pull a fire alarm. I don't know how many people can say that they had done that, but I now rank among them. I'm not entirely sure why jobs like this fall to me, maybe it's my charisma, maybe I'm just special or maybe I just have bad luck. I was sitting at work last week scanning slides - which I might add is very boring especially when you can only do one at a time and you have 14,000 to do - but someone came up to me and gave me a notice that said "This is a fire drill, please start fire procedures." Ok, I've only been at the job for 2 months. I don't know what to do. So I go and ask my co-workers - they're a lot of help! None of them know what to do, so I find my manager and ask him. By this time it's probably been 4 or 5 minutes. (In the case of a real fire this is not good timing.) He takes me over to the fire alarm and tells me to pull it. Can I tell you how nervous I was! I mean I'm on the 27th floor and pulling this may activate the whole building or just a few floors, but I hate to be the one. But, I pull myself together and pull the alarm. Then we all evacuate to the 24th floor and wait for the all-clear, which was at least ten minutes. Then I find out that I should have called security after I pulled the alarm - so they're going a little bezerk. Oh, what a lucky day for me! There was no recourse or anything because it's a drill, but it was still unsettling. So, I guess I can chalk up to life experience pulling the fire alarm at the COB.

No comments: