Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Things I Do Before I Sleep

I have been reading like a maniac lately. I read a book a night or every two nights, depending on the length and whether I've read it before. When you sleep at max 7 hours a night, this is pretty easy to accomplish. On the nights that I don't feel like reading I have been watching movies I've checked out at the library. So here are my reviews (I'm not going to review books that I have read more than once):

Lost Season 3: I think I liked this season better than two. I loved the dynamics between the survivors and the others. The others were just plain weird and creepy. As soon as you thought that you had a handle on what they were all about, something came up that was totally surprising. I'm curious to see where the romances lead. It seems like both Kate and Juliet like Jack and yet Kate likes Sawyer as well. It was fun to go to different places on the island and to learn about some of the new characters. I just have to say, I love Charlie!

Nanny Diaries: This was interesting, on a one time basis. I watched the first 15 minutes and then turned it off and went to bed. It really didn't grab me, so I had a rough time picking it up again. I did end up finishing it and it was better than I had anticipated. It's sad to think that there are people out there like Mr. and Mrs. X. Even worse still that kids grow up with such horrible parents or lack thereof. And then there's the nanny that gets so attached to the kids that she doesn't want to leave for even a much better option. It's just sad. I'm glad that they showed the nanny with her friends and hooking up with the boy upstairs - who I might add was very cute. It's not high on my list of movies to recommend, but if you want to see it, go for it. It's entertaining at least once.

Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli: I think I still like Stargirl better, but this was a nice sequel. I really love getting inside Stargirl's head. I like learning about how she thinks and what her motivations are. As with Stargirl, I feel motivated to do better, not just for others, but for myself as well. It's really an uplifting book. It shows how one girl can change and win the hearts of so many others.

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella: This turned out as cute as her other books, although I think Can You Keep a Secret? is still my favorite. This one would take second place. You spend a chapter with the main character when she's in her early twenties, then in the next chapter she wakes up with amnesia and can't remember the last three years. I kept expecting her to wake up and find that it was all just a dream. It made me wonder how I'd react in the same situations. It was interesting that even without remembering what she had been working on or who she had become before the amnesia, that she ended up going in a similar direction in the end anyway. I loved the marriage manual. I thought that was hilarious. What a dork her husband was! I really like Jon. I can't imagine how I would have reacted in his situation - whether I'd have been as patient as he, or just moved on. Overall it was was very fun read.

Never Lie To a Lady by Liz Carlyle: This was my first book by this author and probably my last. It was a cute story but I just didn't like it. I can't even put my finger on what I didn't like, I just didn't get into it. I think too much time was spent on the secondary plots and not enough on character development. I don't know . . . it just wasn't that good.

House Season One: This is better than I anticipated. I love how they work through things to figure out the treatment and save the patient. I like how cocky Dr. House is. It might get on my nerves later, but I like his thought process. It's just cool. I'm not all the way finished with it, but so far I am liking it.

No comments: