Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lots of Movies & A Couple of Books

Fireproof
One of the best Christian movies I've ever seen. Plenty of romance, comedy and drama. The plot was really quite excellent. Everyone at my house has seen it and we all love it.

Married Life
This reminds me of an old 1950 or 1960's movie. The way the story moved along was really quite fascinating. Although I wouldn't watch it again, it's definitely worth the one time.

City of Ember
I was a little frustrated when I saw the first trailer for this movie. I mean, they gave away the secret of the book in the trailer. Needless to say I didn't see in the theater. I rented it from the library and was actually quite pleased with the presentation of the story. The actors were great and they really kept it moving, just like the book was fast paced.

MI:5 in a America, Spooks in the UK.
Who can't love a movie where the main spy is always a hot British actor? First seasons were Matthew McFadyen, now it's Rupert Penry-Jones and later it's Richard Armitage. Lah! It's wonderful. I've enjoyed all of the seasons up to four, which is what I am currently watching. PBS is showing it on Friday nights which is great because they edit out the swearing, but one a week is just too slow for me.

Australia
Almost three hours of watching a ruggedly handsome Hugh Jackman in his native Australia. What's not to love? I think I'm going to see it again tomorrow night. (I love 50 cent movie Mondays at Movies 10). It is wonderful, if you can sit in the theater that long.

Coraline in 3D
I saw this Friday night with my good friend Beckie and her sister Anna. It was very well made and the plot was surprising and interesting. The 3D was amazing. I'd recommend it for that alone. However, I would not take my child to go see it. Talk about a dark and spooky movie. I think we all agreed it's a parents watch first movie.

Loving Leah
Let's face it, we all love a good, cheesy, romantic movie from Hallmark. I love the "marriage of convenience plot." Both the actors were great and it was really quite a believable story.

The 39 Steps
Rupert Penry-Jones as a spy in a Hitchcock-type movie. I mean really, it just doesn't get much better than that! It's only been aired in the UK, so if you want to watch it you have to find some place online to do so.

The Luxe
I have to say I read this for the cover alone. As I told my friend, what woman when she looks at this doesn't go, in her head, "I so want to wear that dress?" I really enjoyed it up to a point, that being the middle. After that I just started getting bored. So, I ending up reading the last half by skimming. It ended better than I thought, but I really wanted the plot to go in a different direction. BTW I think my picture above, is the UK version. Why can't the American version be that awesome?

Ransom My Heart
This had a very cute and fun storyline. However, I was really surprised at the adult content (sex) in the book. I expected it to be like Meg Cabot's YA books, but it was more on the style of her adult books. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but beware: read at your own risk.

Wuthering Heights
I loved reading this book. Out of all of the Bronte books, this was my favorite. I think that this one was most accurate to the novel, but in the end it is still bittersweet. Cathy and Heathcliff - meh, but Cathy and Harriton - so cute! I think it's worth it just for that.

4 comments:

Anne said...

My school has a built-in relationship seminar/institute once a month. I think they know how stressful it is and do that to help us keep sane. (We don't want insane pharmacists out there!) Anyway, this past week we watched clips and talked a lot about Fireproof. It really does a great job of showing what 'love' really is - as President Hinckley put it "an anxious concern for the comfort and well being of one's companion". Watching the evolution of the relationship in the film is a great learning opportunity.

snickers said...

I looked at Fireproof, but wasn't sure if it was going to be any good. Thanks for the recommendation!
Megan

Alan said...

Spooks is awesome! My only gripe is that the A&E ones are cut down to like 40 minute shows (a lá US tv show length) from their original 60 minute running times. So I've pretty much only watched the British versions since season 3. Haven't noticed much profanity, although there's one surprising moment when Adam Carter, wee and all, stumbles naked through the frame.

Really though, fantastic show. Only 8 episodes in this last season, though! It's kind of ridiculous how short they are.

Matt and Haley said...

Okay, so Matt and I just watched Fireproof last Friday night and thought it was pretty cute. Acting was subpar, but the message was so important. Matt and I didn't like Married Life. I've heard pretty good things about Australia so we're excited about that one. I haven't heard anything about Coraline in 3D until your review, so we'll have to check that out. Ariane loved 'Loving Leah' as well, but it got erased from her DVR when her satellite broke down. I really want to see it because, as you know, that's my favorite kind of romance as well! I'm surprised we had such differing views on The Luxe. I couldn't put it down! I went back and changed my review to 4 stars, however, because I think the reason I was so enthralled was that I had just gotten finished reading 4 Eva Ibbotson books in a row. (I shouldn't have done that!) I still loved the book and am excited to read the next two. I have not been able to get through Wuthering Heights. I think I have started it twice, but never been able to finish. Maybe third time's the charm...