
Yesterday I went for a tour at Welfare Square in Salt Lake City. It's kind of sad that I live within 10 minutes of it and had never been. My grandparents were even called on a mission down there are the employment center, I never visited them there.
This tour was fascinating. I'd never been to the Bishop's Storehouse. In fact I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was just like a grocery store, but without checkout stands, and you have to have a recommend to use it.
The also talked to us about the Humanitarian services that the church offers: boxes that can feed 4 people for a week, hygiene kits, school supplies and even cleaning kits. The church produces tons of food in their different manufacturies (probably not a real word, I think I just made it up) all of the world. I have worked in the Cannery down there, helping with the production of applesauce. As a side note, their applesauce and pearsauce is fantastic!
There is a bakery and even a dairy at Welfare square. They make a lot of powdered goods such as, powdered milk, powdered juices and even jello powder. At the dairy they make some great cheddar cheese. They also make Atmet (sp?) which is an oatmeal type food that they sell to the Ethiopian government. Five dollar donations can keep a person fed for 6 months.
In the end they let you sample the chocolate milk and cheddar cheese. It was wonderful! If you haven't been to Welfare Square, I recommend that you go.


1 comment:
Pearsauce - oh I am drooling. When I'm old and have no teeth do you promise to feed me pearsauce everyday?!? Pleeeease!
Welfare square is a fantastic place. I haven't been there in a few years and I don't think I've ever been on a tour, what a great idea. Did you go as a RS pres?
Post a Comment