Pages

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Our Office: A Work In Progress

My mom decided that she'd had enough of the carpet down the hall. It was old looking, had been stretched out and was always dirty looking. So, we went to Lowe's and picked out some Pergo (man-made wood flooring that's virtually indestructible).

We were hoping to get some that exactly matched the living room and kitchen. It has been about 7 to 8 years since that was laid, so we were out of luck on an exact match. We did have a left over plank, so we matched it up with several of their samples. We had thought to change colors dramatically, but ended up getting something with the same color tones. It's not the same design, but it looks great with it.

Here's some pictures of what the office/hall looked like before the carpet was taken out. It usually is that cluttered, we had just started to move everything out into the other rooms.







This last Tuesday evening we pulled up the carpet - well, Victoria did most of that - and cut it up to put in the trash. Then Wednesday, while Addie was napping, Mom and I pried out the tack strips. It was not fun. It took us at least two hours, each. So, these are pictures with the carpet and tack strips taken off. (Those really long tack strips are ones that I pulled off!)









This is what our living room looked like when it had most of the office stuff in it. The desk/table was taken out of there before I got a picture.



Here's the new floor. We still don't have baseboards installed, that will come later. I think the floor looks really great.



Can you see that the transition into the living room looks great?





Mom decided that she wanted to have more space in there, so Wednesday night we went to IKEA to see if they had anything to offer. They did. We fell in love with this table. The store model was white, but when we found out it came in red we were hooked. However, as the rational people we are, we came home and thought about it before we bought it. Thursday evening, the day the floor was laid, we went back out and bought it.







Saturday we finally had a chance to start putting back together the office. Even Addie helped. It was nice to actually work on my computer. I hadn't opened it up for 3 or 4 days.



This is the office as of last night. It's not quite right, but in the days/weeks to come we'll fix it up more. I'll try to update when we feel we are complete.

4 comments:

Emmy Z. said...

So fun! Looks like you picked a good color.

Lisa Chin said...

The floor looks great! Who laid it for you? I love the red desk!!! It's wonderful to have more space in an office. I will look forward to seeing the office finished.

Anneliese said...

We had a subcontractor from Lowe's do it for us. I have his contact info if you want it.

Shelly! said...

The floor looks amazing - and your hard work really shows!

And of course I love the red table! Would love something like that some day :)