Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mmmm Hmmm . . . Did you say "sex on legs?"

I just have to review the whole ITV Jane Austen Season. I am reviewing them in the order that I liked - I mean LOVED them. And for all of you just dying to see them, I will be hosting a movie night soon, hopefully outside! I must warn you that there are a few spoilers ahead, but if you have read any of the books or seen any of the movies you'll be just fine. I just need send my thoughts out there. Let the anticipation begin.

I have to start with Persuasion. So far none of the other versions can beat it. I tell when I read the review that said that Captain Wentworth was sex on legs I just so agreed with them. There really is only two flaws with that movie: 1. That freaking long fish-like kiss at the end. (But please don't let this deter you there is a much better kiss at the very end). I mean really where did they think that 14 seconds (believe me I count it every time) of waiting for a kiss was going to make it more romantic. I would have thought that after 7 long years he would have grabbed her and kissed her like there was no tomorrow - none of this waiting for her to lean up and kiss him. Argh! 2. The whole letter thing. I just loved him overhearing her talking to Harville and trying to not to show his interest and then coming back and giving her the note himself. I missed it, but it didn't stop my love. 3. I guess I have more than two. What was with all of the running? When he leaves her house where does he go and how does he go so quickly? He's nowhere to be seen. I just think that her running to his house is enough. But even with all of that said it is enormously romantic and I love it!!!

Now for Northanger Abbey. I did not think that I would love it as much as I did. I love the ending. I love her spazzy hands and him being so tentative and then BOOM! They get together and never let go. Oh, it's quite wonderful. I loved her little day dreams especially the bathtub one "we're all God's creatures here." Ha ha ha! I loved Henry Tilney. He is so different from any of her other heroes. He is just always happy and kind and sincere. He hardly has a brooding bone in his body, unlike all the other Austen men. And the actors that they chose, good golly, weren't they all attractive. I don't think I've seen a more attractive cast. It makes me want to read the book now and watch the other version of the movie I own.

As for Mansfield Park . . . I've never much liked this story. Marrying the cousins and the Crawfords seem almost incestuous, has never been really interesting to me. And the one that came out in theaters was just weird. I didn't think that Edmund was very cute. But this new one changed my mind. I really liked the role of Edmund's parents in the end. I loved how they developed Edmund falling in love with Fanny. The breakfast scene where Edmund is trying to motion to Fanny to leave . . . it was truly wonderful. I liked that the Crawfords didn't seem like they were ready to marry each other at any moment. It definitely changed my opinion of the whole story. Lah, it was great!

No comments: