So I have finished reading this trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. Book 1: Uglies, Book 2: Pretties and Book 3: Specials. So I have all ready reviewed Uglies, but I just needed to discuss this trilogy. It has a really interesting premise: what if when you turn 16 you become supermodel gorgeous and can do just about anything you want? And what if you lived out in the wild and didn't know anything about the transformation? What would happen if these two people met? So if you haven't guessed this is YA Sci-fi novel. I enjoyed how in depth the author went into the social structure of these communities. I wasn't really sure where these books were going to end. Were they going to turn everybody ugly again? Were they going to stay pretty but with normal brains? What was going to happen to the Specials? I really liked that I didn't know where these books were headed - it definitely made it exciting to read. And the hover boards - oh, I would love to ride on one of those! I'm just not sure if I like the ending. As I said, I didn't quite know what to expect. I think it's good and a nice place to end, but it felt really rushed. I had hoped for a better final confrontation if you will. Not that Tally's meeting with Dr. Cable wasn't pretty cool . . . I don't know. I felt like I had been on this sci-fi trip only to end on an economic/environmental note. It really twisted me around. The books really made me think about society and how we react to each other and our environments. It showed how we judge people based on looks and our perception of them - not the person they are. It made me want to wear a blind fold all the time to see if I would think differently of the people I met. The books also showed how we can change ourselves. Regardless of what happens to us, we are in control of our thoughts and bodies. With enough internal motivation we can change anything. I really liked how Tally, regardless of what the city did to her, was able to change her mind and thought processes back to her original self - well with whatever enhancements she had been given. Speaking of enhancements, the tattoos that moved with your pulse, how awesome would that be?! Anyway, they were good and thought provoking - what more can you ask for?
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment