I went up with the first caravan to leave. It was about 4:00 pm when we left, so we got there way ahead of everyone else. That was good though, since we were the ones in charge. On the drive up there we saw a bear and had to stop and wait for a herd of sheep to move around us. It was quite interesting. Not to mention, since it's fall, the different colors of leaves and foliage on the way up. It was breath taking!

Kirsten posing on the queen size bunk beds. They were really high off the ground. I mean you had to have strong arms to get on top of it.

Jill and me. Just swinging outside.

Jenn, Kirsten and Luann working on breakfast.

A great pose from Mary!

Holly, Beckie, Me, Jenn and Rachel.
Bro. Kennington, Mary and Bishop Turley in the background.
Once we arrived at our destination we set up camp. Those of us who were staying overnight claimed our beds. Then we all helped get dinner together. The place we stayed at had a nice bunkhouse, kitchen and dining room/living room. Although, the bunkhouse was the only part that was enclosed on all four sides. We made taco salad for everyone and Phil made dutch oven desserts - peach cobbler and chocolate. Most of the girls arrived up there by 7:30 pm, so that's when we ate. (I made a peanut butter sandwich for the road, which everyone teased me about. But it was I who had the last laugh when everyone was starving at 6:00!!!)
After dinner we had a speaker. Her name was Su. She talked about finding joy in your life. (So pretty much if you're around me you have joy in your life. Ha ha ha! If you didn't get it, my middle name is Joy.) She talked about the 3 P's of joy: Purpose, Perspective and Persistance. Su did a really great job. Then we played the Starburst game. Everyone picked a Starburst and based on the color you chose you had to answer a question about yourself ie. What did you want to be when you grew up, Most embarrassing moment, Worst date and your first kiss. We wanted some sort of get to know you game, that wasn't totally cheesy. This is the best we came up with.

Kristen, Rachel, Abby, Rachel, Beckie and Tabitha

Ellen, Katie, Melissa and Ashley

Amy, Kate, Emily and Lindsey
After the game, everyone who wasn't staying overnight left. The rest of us made some hot chocolate (it was very cold up there) and went back to the bunkhouse to warm up and chat. It really was a lot of fun. It was nice to get to know some of the new girls and learn more about the rest. We went to bed around 12:30 am. I know, we're so old! It was a rough night's sleep for me because I sleep so lightly. When someone's bed squeaked, phone vibrated, toilet flushed or water pipes ran I woke up. So, it's pretty fair to say that I didn't get much sleep.

One of the girls brought some caramel corn up. The only problem was that when it got cold, you couldn't break it a part.

Me, Abby and Kristen chatting in the bunkhouse.
Around 7:30 am Jenn and I started getting breakfast together. The muffins were already made, so we just had to warm up the water and cut up the fruit. Pretty soon everyone headed out for some breakfast. Afterwards, we cleaned up camp and headed for home. Jenn, Ellen and I drove down together. Every so often we stopped and took pictures of the fall scenery. It was beautiful! We arrived home around 11:30 am. I then took a shower and had a much needed nap!

Jenn and me starting breakfast.

Ellen joined us soon thereafter

I was a little frightening with the knife. Actually, the fruit was so cold my hands were frozen in place.


Everyone eating breakfast

Debbie and me

Ellen and Amy cleaning up the bunk house

Fearless Beckie taking her stuff to the car

Me, Shauna and Beckie on the swing

Shauna and Beckie, still swinging







All in all we had a wonderful time!




3 comments:
Wow! I'm jealous. I'm wishin' that Gus had been called into your wards bishopric so I could have gone. : ( Such beautiful pictures of you beautiful women!
Love the pictures. And I love hearing about all these things that bring back memories of RS Retreats of yesteryear... Oh, wait, I never stayed the night. I'm probably missing out, but like you, I wouldn't have slept well. And I'm a grouch when I haven't had sleep. We'll see how that goes when I'm a new mom, eh?
Way to go - being all involved in your Relief Society. I'm so proud.
Man Ali - you are so dang cute! Cute hair, cute clothes - just all around cute!
I love that you are having such a good time in your ward (minus the whole save me a seat thing). I always loved the bonding time that retreats provided - and it looks like you did too!
Post a Comment