Emma Woodhouse
I had to add this picture for one, the hat and two the sleeves. On a plain colored gown or over a plain colored gown they'd be sensational!
Harriet Smith and Emma in front of the church
I have to say this Harriet seems the most pathetic of the bunch. That's not to say she was a bad actress though. I find Harriet to be rather dimwitted and pathetic, so I think she was portrayed well.
Harriet, Mr. Knightley and Emma in front of Donwell
Mrs. Weston (she played Miss Moneypenny to Pierce Brosnan's James Bond)
Mr. and Mrs. Elton
(Mrs. Elton played Mrs. Hurst in the A&E Pride and Prejudice)
(Mrs. Elton played Mrs. Hurst in the A&E Pride and Prejudice)
Emma and Mr. Knightley after the Box Hill picnic
The proposal scene
The first time I saw this movie, as with the 1972 version, I was not a fan. I didn't like Mr. Knightley at all - which is pivotal to liking the movie. I have since come to like it more, but it's not a favorite. I find Mr. Knightley too harsh. He's always criticizing and scolding Emma that it seems a little of the blue to find out that he's in love with her. However, after the proposal I like him infinitely better, too bad that only the last five minutes of the movie.
I like the chicken thieves scenes at the beginning and end. It's some nice symmetry. I think it's funny that they use the chicken thieves to convince Mr. Woodhouse that it would be advantageous to have Mr. Knightley in the house. I believe that's the way it is in the book though. I found Emma's daydreams quite humorous. They definitely helped to make her seem immature and silly. When Frank comes out of the picture is one of my favorites.
I know this adaptation is many people's favorite, but I just can't agree to that. I saw the Gweneth Paltrow version first and this one was not nearly as romantic as that one, to me that is. It has improved on my further viewings of it, but I still have no desire to re-watch certain scenes in it. (Which is indicative of how much I like a movie. If I like it, I can watch my favorite bits over and over for weeks on end!) This is not a bad version by any means and if you like Emma, you'll probably enjoy this version.













No comments:
Post a Comment