Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Northanger Abbey

What a silly story this is! It's entertaining, but very silly. Which is likely the worst thing I can say about this story. Jane certainly hit the mark of Gothic Romance with this one. There are only two versions of this movie, although if you look on IMDB you'll only find one. The earlier one was part of a tv series called Stage Two (I think!?!). One of the great things about both of these films is that they are short. They might just be the shortest Jane Austen movies of all. I'll have to double check on that though.

I find Catherine a very silly girl. I think Kitty in Pride and Prejudice would have been her twin or at least her bosom friend. Cathy is very naive and caught up between her fantasy world and the real world. She gets taken in by the Thorpes, but at least she learns from them. I love her banter with Henry, especially in the newer version. I like watching Cathy's character develop from an inexperienced, silly girl to a more mature young woman. I really like the relationship that Cathy has with Henry's sister. I think she is the only true friend to Cathy.

Overall, I rather enjoy watching this movie (mostly the second one though!). I realize this is not Jane Austen at her best or most mature, but she is entertaining. I like this better than Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. It's just a lighter, fluffier story. That and it's like a third as long as those two. I'd recommend the newest version to anyone who hasn't seen it, but likes Jane Austen. If you don't go into it with high expectations (expecting it to be Pride and Prejudice or Persuasion) it really is a fun little story.

This the version that we watched first. It was interesting. The music was hilarious!!! It was bizarre. "It was so un-authentic" as my mom says. There's like electric guitar and other electronic instruments.

It makes me so mad that Masterpiece edited out several scenes from the version that aired in the UK. Most especially I'm upset that the "We are all God's creations" bathtub scene was taken out and the fun apple picking scene. I just don't understand why they took a good 5 minutes out.

Northanger Abbey in the older version. What a picturesque castle.

Northanger Abbey in the newer version. Definitely a creepy place.

Miss Catherine Morland our heroine who always had weird hair. I just don't like those ringlet bangs.

At the first ball in Bath. That is Henry Tilney talking to Catherine and Mrs. Allen about muslins. Do you recognize Mr. Tilney? If you're a fan of MI-5 you'll certainly recognize him as Harry Pierce. I'm glad he rose to greater acting success!

One of Catherine's crazy nightmare/fantasies. She was always wrapped in sheet whether in the forest or like here on the bed. I don't know what the blood is all about though.

Catherine's friend Isabella Thorpe and her mother.

I couldn't do a post about this movie without a picture from the Bath House scene. It was just odd. I mean, I know they went to Bath to take the waters, but I just didn't imagine them wearing their hats and having some sort of plate hanging around their necks.

 You can watch the whole movie on YouTube, should you want to, but really just watch the first minute or so of this one and you'll understand just how bizarre it is!

Catherine Morland from the new version


About 3 minutes into this clip you'll be able to watch funny bathtub scene that was cut out

Henry and Catherine. I love J. J. Feild! I was so excited to see him in the new Captain America movie.

John Thorpe (Isabella's brother), John Morland (Cathy's brother), Cathrine and Isabella. You might recognize Isabella from the newest version of Pride and Prejudice and John from the Disney version of The Three Musketeers.

Mrs. Allen. You might recognize her as Fanny in the 1983 version of Mansfield Park
One of the cutest proposal scenes in any of the Jane Austen movies!

I found this as I was looking for pictures for this blog entry. Unfortunately the library did not have this yet, so I can only imagine how much fun it would be to look through! I don't think they've finished the series, so that's probably why the library didn't have it.

No comments: