But let's get back to Emma. I really like Gweneth Paltrow's Emma. She's just all around elegant. She has fantastic hair and her wardrobe is pretty great. I think this picture is my favorite hair-do. Not too mention that the tent she's sitting under is amazing. I want one just like it.
Then there's Harriet. I don't really like Harriet, as I think I've mentioned in previous posts, but I think Toni Collett does a decent job.
I love the archery scene where Emma and Mr. Knightley are discussing Mr. Martin's proposal to Harriet. I love how her aim with the arrow falters the more she explains why the two wouldn't have been a good match.
This picture was accompanied with the line "Emma... you wrote her answer!" or "Try not to shoot my dogs." I love Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley. He's the one I compare all of the others with.
The riddle from Mr. Elton. I think this scene really shows the disparity in their intelligence.
Miss Bates. We probably quote this particular Miss Bates a couple times a month at my house. It's usually something like "PORK! mother" or "ANGEL! mother." You have to see it to really get the humor of it.
Mr. Woodhouse, Mrs. Elton and Emma. There's really nothing much to be said about Mr. Woodhouse. I think the movie would go along just fine if you never even saw him. I had to add this picture because every time I see this scene I am always afraid Mrs. Elton is going to smack somebody with the sides of her hat! I also love how she's always going on about how she doesn't want to boast about herself, but her friends say she's quite marvelous (or some such variation).
Then there's the ball and the infamous line "Brother and sister... indeed we are not!"
Everyone dances so elegantly here. They're all so light on their feet and it just looks effortless! Oh, and it's super romantic!
This is at the Box Hill picnic. This was the only picture I could get that I liked of Mr. Elton. I would have liked a carriage scene though. I love how he was always going on about the parties he went to. His complement always being "A party is a party, but a Christmas party...!" (Or a party on a summer's eve!)
"Badly done Emma!" His delivery of these lines are fantastic. You can see how mad and frustrated and, I think, in love he is with her. (This is at the end of the Box Hill expedition).
I like how in this version when he takes his leave he actually kisses her hand. I don't think he ever really took her hand previously, so this is a very marked attention. Although, Emma is too dim to pick up on that!
And, lest I forget, Jane Fairfax and Frank Churchill. This was my first introduction to Ewan MacGregor and all I can say is, I was very underwhelmed! I never really took to him. I didn't find him charming. Mostly I just thought he was rude. His hair is nasty. It's kind of frizzy and sticks out and is way too long! It took me a little while before I liked him or found him attractive in any movie after that.
I think Jane was really unremarkable. There were other actresses who did a much better job with her. I felt that this Jane had no depth, whereas some of the others you could see/feel the torment they were going through.
The proposal. What a romantic location, under that large tree. Jeremy Northam delivers his lines so well. I think every woman falls a little in love with him and wishes she were on the receiving end of that proposal! "I rode through the rain! I'd ride through worse if I could just hear you telling me I might have some chance to win you!" And of course another favorite and well quoted line "I need not call you Mr. Knightley, now I may call you my Mr. Knightley!"
The wedding. I love Mrs. Elton's parting lines about the "shocking lack of satin!" I love her lace veil. They both just look so elegant!
The conclusion to this part review/part fan picspam is this: I really like this version. (If that hasn't been evident!) There's not a lot that I really dislike. It doesn't deviate too much from the book and the music is so great. I really should take a moment to discuss the music. It really evokes the mood. It's light and silly when the movie is and then it can turn super romantic as well. I love the music during the proposal. There are so many emotions going on there from when he just bumps into her until she finally accepts him. Just listening to the soundtrack I can visualize exactly what's happening in the movie. Well done Rachel Portman!
If you haven't seen this version go out and rent it, download it or put it on hold at the library. It really is a 'must see' for any Austen fan!


















1 comment:
I, too, love this version! Mrs. Elton and Jane are my least favorite actresses but Mr. Knightly is the epitome of manhood - no one equals him according to Emma. I love seeing the "happily-ever-after" ending that is shockingly absent in other versions. The music leads your emotions and, yes, listening to the sound track replays the visual in my mind. Well done!
Post a Comment