For Valentine's Day this year my mom bought us all tickets to go and see Pioneer Theater's Emma on Leap Day. We had front row balcony seats, which was awesome! I also remembered to bring the binoculars, so we could see up close.
This was the poster for the play. Can I just say that I love it! The composition is beautiful and I love the simple shapes. The people in the background in two different colors is fantastic! Then the heart for the tip of the arrow is classic!
This is the actor who played Mr. Knightley. I really loved his take on the character. He was always very elegant and sophisticated like Lawrence Olivier (at least that's who my friend Jill compared him to). I loved his interactions with Emma. My favorite being when he tells her the Mr. Elton is going to be married. It was just classic! I loved how smug he was!
This is the actress who played Emma. She's pretty in this picture than with the Regency hairstyle, in my opinion. Her portrayal of Emma was not my favorite. She was very brash or at least her voice was and I had a rough time getting past it. Her accent was a little too forced as well. Although, the costumes she was able to wear were magnificent. I have to admit I was quite envious of some of them.
Frank Churchill and Emma. He had fantastic hair. I don't know whether it was true to the times, but it fit his personality so well! And his clothes went right along with it! I rather enjoyed his character.
Miss Smith, Mr. Elton and Emma. I think Harriet was by far prettier than Emma and maybe because of that she was as convincing as a silly, naive girl. I just expected her to have a little more common sense.
This was the scene where Mr. Knightley and Emma are discussing Harriet's refusal of Mr. Martin. I liked the game they were playing. It was kind of a juxtaposition to the subject matter of their conversation.
I wished that I had been able to find a picture of the ball because the dresses were so fine and worth commenting on. I loved how they staged the dance with Emma and Mr. Knightley. Everyone leaving on different beats of the dance until just Emma and Mr. Knightley were left. It was very romantic!
Overall I enjoyed the play immensely. I love going to the theater and then to see something that I like makes it doubly wonderful. Was it the best adaptation of the story... no, but that was ok. I didn't expect Masterpiece Theater. It was good for what it was and I was glad I was able to go and see it.
Friday, March 23, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comment:
I'd love to see that. So fun!
Post a Comment