Wow! It has been a week and then some. I guess I'll just start at the beginning. About two weeks ago I emailed my boss and told him to let me know when I need to come in to the office because I don't want to waste money and my time by coming in and having nothing to do. He replied and said that would be fine. Last week my department at the COB moved from the 27th floor to the 23rd floor. Not really amazing news, but I think it would have prompted my boss to notify me of the change so that I could move my stuff or at least know that my stuff had been moved. Well, that was not the case. I only found out because I was talking with my friend on the phone and she asked me how the move went. I responded "what move?" Which prompted her to tell me that my department moved locations. So on Monday this week I went in and found my desk - which I hate! I look like a receptionist. I have the low walls with the desk on top and furthermore I get receptionist queries. Not only that but I find out that I was the only person in the department not notified of the move. Then as I started up my computer I found out that I had no internet connection and therefore no network connections either. And since all of our files are located on the network I had nothing to do and without a telephone or email, no one could ask me to do any jobs. I stayed at work for about three hours and then left. I was so irritated that I came home and wrote a letter stating all of my grievances to my boss and emailed it to him and HR. Later that evening I talked to my friend who worked at the the COB with me only to find out that he got fired that very afternoon. This is the guy that gets outstanding reviews and knows how to do practically everything that we do in our department. He asked why he was fired and was really given no good reason. My boss had been thinking about doing this for a while and yet chose not to try to work the problems through. It was just bizarre! So I spent Monday night over at my friend's house chatting and proofing his letter of rebuttal. So Tuesday, I am still thinking about this and just kept getting more frustrated about the thought of going back to work dealing with the jerk, also known as my boss. I talked to a friend in my neighborhood that worked in a different department only to find out that things like this go on through out the whole company. Anyone who stands up to management gets moved or fired. What a wonderful place to work. Then I realized that I really didn't care if I worked there at all. When I thought about quitting it was like a whole negative presence was removed from my being - not to mention that I just felt relieved.
On Wednesday morning I went in and emailed my boss that I could meet with him whenever was convenient. (No, my internet was not up, I had to borrow someone else's connection.) He called me in about 45 minutes later. As I walked into his office I debated about asking him to close the door, but thought I'd see what he wanted to do. He didn't say anything, so the door stayed open the entire time - not even partially closed! Just outside of the door is our inadequate and useless secretary. So if she didn't have her earphones in (she watches youtube all day) she would have heard the meeting. I sit down and he asks me what I want to talk about. (Are you kidding me?) I told him that when I wrote the letter I had every intention of working it out but in light of recent events I didn't want to be the next one to get fired for no good reason. (Yes, I really did say that.) I then said that I would be happy to go over my letter so that I could help him be better at his job. We went through all of my concerns and on each one he argued with what I said. Ultimately he all but stated that my frustrations were my own fault. If I felt unappreciated and not valued it was just me. (Arrrggghhh!) Then mid-meeting on of the guys in our department poked his head in and asked if my boss had a minute and you know what he said? Yes. So he stops and talks to this guy for about 5 minutes. (Can you believe it? I was flabbergast. I mean here I am having a meeting and he decides to talk to someone else. I just started chuckling at how absolutely retarded my boss was.) When the guy finally left we talked for about one more minute. Then I realized that I was just wasting my breathe. My boss thinks that he is God's gift to managers and that he is doing everything perfectly. So I told him that I was going to quit. He asked me when I was planning to do this, whether I was going to finish out the week or what. And I said that as I was going to quit as soon as I left his office. Then I got up and put my security tag on his desk, had him sign my time sheet, grabbed my stuff (which I had packed during my 45 minutes that I had nothing to do and no internet) and left. Oh it was so relieving. Even as I sit here typing this I am still dumbfounded at how retarded my boss is. The only regret that I have is that I won't see the great people I worked with. But I realized that the reason I needed to work there was all ready established, so I didn't need that job any more.
The day continued on an upward spiral. My cousin had a little baby boy that morning. Congratulations Haley and Matt! Then I met with the photographer I design albums for. I had just finished another album and I needed to go through it with him. This album was going to be used for publicity by the company so it was a big deal. I was given all the pictures from the wedding and told that I could make a 10 or 15 page album and I had to include one picture. Yeah, they were rough guidelines. So I had pretty much carte blanche to do whatever I wanted with the album. I tried something new and added some vector elements to it. I finished it last weekend and I am so proud! I was so excited to show it to him because I think it was my best work. It is so great! When I went in the first 40 or so minutes we spent showing each other our favorite design and font sites. Yes, we are two nerdy peas in a pod. Then we went through the album and he loved it! We made a few minor alterations while I was sitting there and then he is sending it to print. Nothing needed to be redone. This is a first! The other albums that I have done have all needed a little work here or there. I can't even begin to tell you how great it is. If I wasn't concerned about copyright infringement I'd post the whole thing on here. It is so super wonderful! (Shell, today I can find the words to compliment myself!)
Let's see, I have a few other random updates. First off, I went and saw Becoming Jane again last weekend. I want to revise my review. It is wonderful and tragic and heartbreakingly romantic. James McAvoy is super adorable. I have to admit it was nice to know that it was not going to end well - even though I knew that Jane Austen never got married. It was helpful to know that they were accurate. So that last quarter of the movie I just sat and watched while tears streamed down my cheeks. I was so emotional! Even when it was over it took like 5 minutes for me to get myself together. I have only got that emotional in An Affair to Remember and Bridge to Teribithia. If you are a Jane fan I must recommend that you watch that show. You'll love it. Second, I finished reading A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson. It was actually quite good. Just a little YA romantic fiction. If you are looking for any easy enjoyable read check it out. Thirdly, I watched Firefly the tv series. Can I just say I don't know why it was ever canceled. I mean it was awesome! I remember watching Serenity and thinking it was rather lame. But after watching Firefly I really like it. It's sci-fi meets the wild west and it just works. The only thing I'm bummed about is that Mal and Anora never get together - like I think that they would have had the series continued. Anyway, it's been a long week and I just can't believe that it's not over yet.
Friday, August 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment