Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Library Campgrounds

Oh how I love the library. Sometimes I think that people don't believe me, but I just can't make this stuff up! So today bright and early at nine when the library opened we had an influx of crazies. Evidently there is a group of people camping on the grass at the library. They don't have tents, but they have sleeping bags and all sorts of other crap. I think that there are about 8 of them ranging between 18 years old to maybe 30. Anyway, this morning they came in right when we opened and oh, it was a zoo. One of the people in the group was a registered sex offender (or at least I assume he was registered) and then there were a couple girls who were complaining that he had a abused them. Another couple of people were complaining that someone had stolen something of theirs. It was just crazy. Well, eventually two cops and a detective came and helped to sort it all out. Amazingly, no one was arrested. That's not the end of the story though. These "campers" then spent the rest of the time going between the library and their campgrounds. Some were wearing pajamas, others had no shoes on, they all looked like they could use a bath (I didn't want to use the public restrooms in case any of them were bathing in there). It was so bizarre! One of the librarians that I work with thought that we should turn the sprinklers on them. It would solve two problems: they'd stop camping and they'd smell a bit better. The worst part about the whole situation is that we can't kick them off the grounds. Only the police can do that if they are there after like 10 pm or something. So who knows, may the library should just add it to their list of randomly stupid services: valet for bicycles, campground for homeless and sex offenders. It sounds good to me.

This other story is rather humorous, just because it's a prime example of miscommunication. A man came in and asked where the water fountains were. So I sent him outside to look at the stair fountain and the organ donor fountain. He comes back in a few minutes later rather perplexed. So I asked him if he found them ok and he said he wasn't looking for those, he just wanted a drink. Who think of a drinking fountain when someone asks for a water fountain. I ask you!?! All in all it was a worthwhile morning at the library.

No comments: