Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's time again for The Crazies You Meet at The Library

I love library Thursday! Some weeks it's pretty calm or at least normal for the library. Then again you have days like today. I have three crazy stories that all happened before 9:30 am. The library opens at 9 am.

1. The library attracts all kinds of people, most especially homeless people. During the winter it is so cold outside that they want spend all the hours possible in the warm library. As you can guess this provides many an interesting situation. Today one of the homeless people asked one of our maintenance staff if he could turn the fireplaces up because he wanted to be warmer while he was sleeping. The maintenance staff came over to our desk shaking his head and told us to check on this guy a little while later. To see if he wanted room service as well.

2. An unidentified woman called the library call center with a question. Evidently she visits the library fairly often and every time she takes the outdoor elevator to the parking she has found a homeless person sleeping in it. I guess this really frustrated her because she asked if next time she came to the library she could mace the homeless person. We had to explain that unfortunately that was considered assault and she'd probably get arrested. A part of me really wants to see her do it though.

3. This pretty well-dressed man came into the library. We get a lot of business people, so this is not shocking in and of itself. He came up to the desk to ask about library card policies. As he was talking I was trying very hard not to stare at the three teeth in his mouth. I kid you not. There were just three! Then he started complaining because he said that his girlfriend who is in prison lost his card. A little while later, when he had gotten his card issues taken care of, I saw him working on the computer. Then he hurried out and did something - I don't know what. He then returned and resumed working on his computer. I think within the space of 15 minutes he did this 12 times. For the life of me, I really really would like to know what he was doing.

As an ending note Casey (the date from hell Casey) came into the library today and came up to my desk. My first thought was "crap! I don't want to deal with you today." Then he came up and started to talk at me. Unfortunately for him, I didn't really respond back. So he left and worked on the computer. I tell you, each time I see him I wonder at what his appeal ever was for me.

No comments: