I had a wonderful 4th of July. Sadly, I forgot to take pictures. I woke up at 5 am so that I could be up at Evergreen Park by 6 am for the Lion's Club annual 4th of July breakfast. I have done this for three years now and absolutely love it. Once I got there I helped set up tables, tape down table clothes and put salt and pepper on the tables. Then I joined the pancake group and got to work. We started mixing the batter with enormous wire whisks. What a mess that was! Then they found us some drills with some mixing bits and things went a little smoother. I worked with two people from my ward, Briar and Seth. They were a lot of fun. Basically I switched between pouring batter on the grills and flipping pancakes. After about an hour or two we really got it down to a system. We made pancakes from about 7 am until 11 am. I'm sure we served like 3,000 people. That was about the amount we did last year and it felt even more crowded this year. By the end of our shift we started getting bored so we made some creative pancakes: the bat signal, happy faces, letters, mickeys and shapes. Then I walked home, which was a 1.1 mile walk. Oh, I almost forgot. So, I was basically just walking between the two grills and the buckets of batter. Can you guess how far all total I walked? (I know, it's like a bad story problem.) I walked .5 miles. The space I had to walk around was no more than 10 feet. Interesting huh.
When I got home I took a shower and had lunch. I took a shower because I had pancake batter everywhere, even on my legs. It was gross! Then I took a three hour nap - ah what bliss! Then my friends Katrina and Aaron came over and we watched Star Wars Episode IV. I'm getting in the mood to watch Episode VI on Friday night. We had a BBQ for dinner and then followed it up by teaching Aaron how to play Canasta. (We played again on Sunday and both he and Katrina are getting pretty good.) Around 9 pm my sister, Melissa came over and we all walked over to Sugarhouse park and watched the fireworks. They had some really neat cascading ones this year. On a random note, it seems like for at least the last 5+ years I have sat within ten feet of my high school madrigal partner. I think it's a rather odd coincidence. When we got back to the house we played more Canasta, until midnight when we were all too tired to continue. All total I walked just shy of 4 miles. It really was a fun holiday!
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment