Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Man's Best Friend or Like Man Like Dog

Sometimes I think that I am becoming immune to the weird people at the library. I mean, after awhile nothing is as weird or fantastic as something as I've seen before. Then of course there are days like this last Thursday that remind me that people can still surprise me. My favorite was this man in an electric wheel chair. From what Tommy said he seems to come in quite frequently and is rather nice. The odd thing about him is that he takes his dog around the town with him. He's a small dog and sits between the man's feet. (I don't know what kind he is, mostly because I don't care about dog breeds.) Anyway, if you look at the dog and then at the man you'll do a double take, because they look alike. I don't know if it's the man looks like his dog or visa versa, but whatever it is it really is quite bizarre.

I also try not to judge everyone who comes into library, but once they come and talk to me I have a rough time not categorizing them. A group of people came in to get internet access. Because they were not members I had to set up a password for them. I think there were four of them, maybe five but either hearing or comprehension or both were not their strong suits. When I get the print out to assign them a computer and password I then circle their computer number and write their password at the top of the slip. Then as I hand it to them I say "You are on computer x" at which point I direct them to approximately where it is "and your password is xxx, all lowercase letters." Ok, as you see this not really difficult to understand. Well, these people required me to say that at least three times before they went off in search of their computer. Most of them had dreadlocks and grungy clothes, then based on their comprehension ability I'm thinking they must still be high or the drugs have fried their brains. It was just weird. I wish I could have taken pictures of them, to prove my point.

No comments: