Saturday, July 19, 2008
Something I've Never Done Before
This week I have done something I've never done before. I've contemplated it. I've misunderstood others who've done it. I know many who have done it. What might this be? For the first time in my whole life I went to a movie all by myself. Now this may not seem like a major feat, and really it's not. But when I was younger I thought people who did it were loners and didn't have friends. Then, I talked to people who've done it and realized that normal people do go to movies by themselves. I just couldn't bring myself to that level. Then in the last few months or so I've been frustrated that I can't seem to schedule times to go to movies with my friends and family, therefore I haven't seen many movies lately. Yesterday I woke up with nothing to do and a yearning to go and see The Dark Knight. I love matinée movies, they are one of my favorite things to do period. So, I looked at the show times and decided to go at 1:00ish. I even packed a peanut butter sandwich to snack on. The thing that surprised me is that it wasn't weird. In fact, I didn't feel lonely or weird. Once the movie had started I actually forgot that I was there all by myself. In the end it was a good experience and has made me wonder why I've never done it before. Also, The Dark Knight was amazing. I loved it. I loved the first one a lot, but I think that this one is even better. The Joker is one creepy man. And Harvey Dent, that was an interesting take on his story line. All in all I can't wait to go and see it again.
Labels:
batman,
movies,
the dark knight
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
welcome to the club! I think you and I talked about how we'd never done this - and now we both have! Bravo!
I love it because I don't have to worry about what the other person is thinking/doing while I'm watching the movie. Then again, I rarely go to the movies :)
Ali, I too am a fan of seeing movies by myself. (Of course, I'm an even bigger fan of seeing movies with tons of other people, which is why I do that one so much more often.) But it really is a great time to sit and contemplate all the intricacies of cinema...
...Except for when weirdos come up and talk to you. Mostly that was a lame segway to give you this YouTube link. I watch it all the time with my roommates and quote it even more often. It's HIGHlarious and you should definitely appreciate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75g_A731q0
PS, Love the new blog spot!!
As an experienced solo movie goer I applaud you on the exercise. I can't remember the first movie I went and saw on my own, but I know where it was, the Cineplex Odeon across from Cottonwood Mall, right by where SF Sourdough Pizza used to be.
P.S. Batman Kicked A__!
Wow, you are my hero Ali! I have never had the guts to go to a movie by myself. I know my sister does it a lot but it fits her personality. I did go to a musical once by myself and it felt very weird at first, but then half way through I just wasn't enjoying the musical (I know, how can I NOT enjoy a musical) but I just didn't think the actors were doing very well and so I thought "Hmm, no one here to stop me from leaving!" So I got up and left! It was very liberating! Maybe someday I will try a movie too! - Lisa
Jared goes to see movies by himself frequently (in fact he saw 'The Dark Knight' solo as well). I've never even thought about going by myself. I'll have to stick Matt with the baby and go! Yeah for you!
Had to let you know that the girls and I went to the link with the Mad TV skit about going to a movie on your own and we have laughed and laughed! Ridiculous! - Lisa
Post a Comment