So yesterday at church I went into the chapel to practice the organ during Sunday School. (I do this every week that I have to play.) I put two of my bags on the third row and leave my purse and shoes on the floor underneath the bench in front of me. I then go and practice the organ, which then turns into prelude for the meeting. Once the meeting starts I look down to make sure my stuff is ok and to see if anyone was sitting by it. Everything was fine. My seat was still saved and a family was sitting next to it. (It always bums me out that no one will come up and sit by my stuff or save my seat until I can go and sit down in the audience. I'm coming to accept this, but some days it frustrates me more than others.) I play the two hymns and take my seat on the stand. When I look down, at this point in the meeting, someone or I should say a couple took my place. As in they moved the rest of my bags to the floor and sat in my spot. Now I'm not saying that I have to have a certain reserved place, but I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to sit by my stuff.
When it comes time for me to be able to sit with the audience I am then forced to sit on the front row. I'm not against the front row, but in the summer with the AC it is frigid! I sit down and look back, well to be honest I glared at the people in my seat. They in turn ask if I want them to pass all of my stuff over the benches. Are you kidding me? I have three bags and my shoes. I am not going to disrupt a bunch of people just to move my stuff. So instead, I sit on the front row, next to a weird boy, freezing my toes and fingers. I had planned on changing shoes for when I went up to accompany the musical number, but obviously that wasn't going to happen.
Maybe it's just me. I don't enjoy sitting on the stand for the whole meeting. I just don't like being on display and no one will sit on the stand with me. So I've moved down to one of the first four rows, in hopes that some of my friends will choose to sit by me. They did for a little while, but of late there's usually ten feet between me and the person next to me. Because I play prelude I can't seek people out as they come into the meeting to sit by me. And now not only do I not get to sit by anyone, but I don't even get to sit with my stuff. I'd like to say that this is the first time that this has happened, but alas it is not. I guess that maybe I'm being petty, but I really don't think so. Anyway, maybe by venting this in writing will take it from being on my mind more than it should.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I think you should take little place cards and mark "Reserved for Ali the Great" and "Reserved for Cool people that know Ali" then let all your friends know they have VIP seating next to you. I bet that would work!
I really don't get why someone would move your stuff and sit there. Are there no seats left in the whole chapel? Silly. Michelle had a great idea though! Or talk to someone you want to sit by ahead of time and ask them to sit near the front and save you a seat, while you leave all your stuff on the stand. Good Luck! - Lisa
Post a Comment