Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The New Office: A Really Long Painting Project!

A couple of weeks ago we had the ceiling in our office repaired. There had been some water damage and it needed to be fixed. With that, we needed to paint the ceiling. As with most projects though, it didn't end there. We ended up re-painting the entire room. The goal was to re-paint the white walls and ceiling and paint a cranberry red wall where the bookcase is. This should have taken at max two days. *chuckle*

It took a week. Things just didn't go according to plan. The white needed two coats, no surprise there. The red supposedly needed two or three. We put on three coats of red and realized that it was going to take many more coats to really even it out. Now remember, it's about a half a day between each coat of paint.

We talked with a couple of people and they all suggested we get a primer called Gripper. It's supposed to help darker colors go on more evenly. We went to Lowe's and they mixed us some primer up and even added a gray tint. We bought another gallon of red and tried again. The gray went on beautifully and two coats of red later, it looked fantastic. Even my edges looked pretty great - if I do say so myself.

While I was painting the wall I noticed the poor condition the paint on the bookcase was in, so I decided to paint that as well. Some of the molding on the bottom of the bookcase was still exposed wood. Although you wouldn't notice it without laying on the floor and looking up at it. We took out all of the books and then I went along my merry little way and re-painted the bookcase. All in all I think it took us six days. But we were finally able to move our computers back in and we even got the base boards put in as well.

Here is my picture log of the whole project. Not all of the pictures do it justice, so if you want to come over and see it you're more than welcome to.


Before


Starting on the first round of red.


The gray primer




The second first coat of red


After I painted the bookshelf and the red edges




Before the base boards


The new and complete office


Doesn't the table look really awesome with the red wall?

4 comments:

Alan said...

I love accent walls! It looks great.

Emmy Z. said...

You did a fabulous job! I love it.

Lisa Chin said...

I love the way the bookshelves really pop now with the red wall. The red table and red wall are great accents in the room. I'm sure you will feel much more productive now with the color infusion!

Shelly! said...

I'm with Lisa - I had to stop for a minute and think through whether you had the bookshelves before :) The room looks AWESOME!!