Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Jane Eyre (1971)

with George C. Scott & Susannah York


I liked: The strength and power of George C. Scott. He had quite the physical presence. You could feel his heart break when Jane tells him she's leaving. I love that scene with him sitting in the wing-back chair and Jane kneeling on the floor with her head leaning on his leg. There was just a tender sadness there.

I didn't like: He was too 'changeable.' He was so gruff most of the time and yet suddenly he'd be kind. I guess it wasn't too bad, but I would have liked to see him in an in between mood.

Comments: She was quite the prettiest Jane I've seen. I thought it was interesting how old they were. They both seemed eight to ten years old than any other version.

2 comments:

Alan said...

It debuted in the UK in 1970, and assuming it was photographed in that same year,

George C. Scott (born Sept 1927) would have been around 43 years old.

Susannah York (born Jan 1939) would have been aged 31.

Also, I didn't know this version existed, and will have to look it up!

Anneliese said...

@Alan I looked it up on IMDB for dates. Maybe 1971 is when it premiered in the US.

It is a rather short version - maybe an hour and a half. You should check it out if you haven't seen it.