Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Jane Eyre (1996)

with William Hurt & Charlotte Gainsbourg




I liked: The young Jane Eyre. Anna Paquin did a phenomenal job in her portrayal. The hair cutting scene was so tragic and yet, you really got a feel for Jane's character. I'm glad that they had Miss Temple in this version. I think you need to see that someone was loving and caring in Jane's younger years. I liked the warmth that Rochester sometimes showed in this one. I liked that there was a little bit more to the ending then just Jane coming back.

I didn't like: I didn't feel like they developed Jane and Rochester's relationship. It comes almost as a surprise when he proposes to her. I didn't really like Mrs. Fairfax. It's like you could tell she knew about his wife and yet wouldn't tell Jane and yet was irritated when Jane agrees to marry him. I was surprised that they had acquainted Jane with the Rivers before she left Thornfield. I feel it was a poor choice not to show her utter hopelessness/helplessness wandering on the moors.

Comments: I think they chose a great house for Thornfield in this one. It's most like the one I pictured when reading the book.

1 comment: