Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Jane Eyre (1983)

with Zelah Clarke & Timothy Dalton





I liked: Timothy Dalton! It's been at least 10 years since I last watched this version. I don't know why it's been so long. I really like it! I can't say that Timothy Dalton is my ultimate favorite Mr. Rochester until I've finished all of the movies, but... he's definitely up there. He was fantastic! Jane has the cutest dimples! I loved the scene after Rochester's proposed and is pacing the floor for Jane to come downstairs. So cute!

I didn't like: Maybe it's petty, but I didn't like his long hair at the end. I realize that it's probably authentic, but it didn't make me like it more. I didn't like the 'begging' scenes. I can't remember if they were in the book or not, but this is the first version to have them. I was not a fan. I mean, we already see how low Jane's sunk when she's traveling the moors alone, do we really need to see her begging?

Comments: I don't know where to put this whether in like or dislike, but none of the rest of the cast stands out in my mind - for good or bad. And maybe it's just that they were overshadowed by Jane and Rochester. I just don't have anything to say about them really.

2 comments:

Miss M said...

Is this the one that looks like they filmed a play? Because if it is, I tried watching and stopped because it bugged me. But if it's as good as you say, I may give it another try.

Anneliese said...

Marie - Both this version and the 1973 version have kind of a play-like filming. It's not my favorite type of filming either, but after awhile you get used to it - or at least you get so caught up in the story that it doesn't matter!