Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Phantom of the Opera 1943


What I liked: I loved the music!!! All of the singing and orchestra was just fantastic. I would almost classify this version as a musical. I liked the two suitors. I think they brought a much needed comic relief. I loved the costumes. The dresses were beautiful.

What I didn't like: I didn't like the way he became the phantom. I mean, I would have felt more sorry for him if he'd been born that way instead of being doused with acid. I had a rough time believing such a mild mannered man would just snap and kill someone and then start on a killing spree. I just didn't feel for him. I think he was a fool for giving all his money away for Christine's lessons without her knowing, thinking that she'd love him for it.

Other Notes: I think what it comes down to is that I liked the everything but the storyline or at least the changes in the storyline from the book.


 The Phantom

 The Phantom without the mask

 Christine

 The two suitors - Raoul and Anatole

 Sing for me!

 The catacombs crumbled and crushed the phantom and yet, his violin and mask are left so artistically after all of the commotion.

Trailer for this version

No comments: