Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Phantom of the Opera 1983


What I liked: I liked the house that the phantom provided for Maria (Christine). The key, the doors, the clothes were all pretty great. In this version Maria reminds the phantom of his wife who killed herself after getting terrible reviews at her debut. I thought that was an interesting twist to the story. I was quite happy when the phantom died at the end.

What I didn't like: This was by far the creepiest one we watched. I was super excited for this one, but it failed to live up to my expectations. First I didn't like that they changed the names, not that some of the other versions haven't done it, but I don't think anyone had the same names! The phantom's mask was really creepy. That greyish, rough textured mask was not the least bit inviting. Even his flesh tone mask was creepy.  And the phantom behind the mask looked like one of the aliens from the new Green Lantern movie. His gravelly voice really was spooky. I was not a fan of that. And then, the whole chandelier falling scene - so NOT believable. There is no way that all of those people could move out of the way before it fell.


The Baron (manager) and Micheal (Raoul)

The phantom (Creepy right?)

Singing lessons for Maria (Christine)

The phantom at the masquerade ball. The name Maria will haunt me for awhile from this scene.

The phantom unmasked

The phantom on the falling chandelier

Here's the movie in its entirety, if you're interested.

No comments: