Last week while I was at Walmart (of all places) I came across this:
Which made me put it on my Amazon wish list.
Now, if you know anything about anything, you know I absolutely love this movie!
Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Tony Randall... some of my favorites!
In fact you'd probably be embarassed if you watched it with me in public because I can quote and sing a long with the whole thing! That is actually, in fact, what I'm doing right now as I go through these pictures.
It starts out with these fun credits with Doris Day singing Pillow Talk.
...Pillow talk, Pillow talk, another night of me and my pillow, talk, talk talk, My pillow and I both agree, There must be a boy, must be a boy, must be a pillow talking boy for me...
(Yeah that was all from memory! Actually all of the quoting in this post will be from memory.)
I love all of the split screen with their party lines (for those of you who don't know, party lines are shared phone lines)
...You are my inspiration, Marie. A simple combination, Marie. Your eyes, your hair, are beyond compare, but is it any wonder? You've captured me, and now I'm under your spell, Marie...
And then there's Doris Day's house keeper, Alma, whose always more than half drunk, but such a funny character. She has some great lines (although out of context they might not be as funny): "It only takes one sip to know if it's a good bottle." "You have an apartment. She decorates apartments. All right?" "You hot-rodder!"
"How am I ever going to get on the friendly side of that?" This is what Rock Hudson (Brad Allen) says to himself when he find out that the annoying woman he shares a party line with is Doris Day (Jan Morrow).
These are the outfits that the barbies are wearing.
Side note about Ali: When I grew up, I wanted to be Doris Day. Hair, clothes, apartment, job, men... I wanted it all. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want those things still.
So Rock Hudson's character creates a false identity (Rex Stetson) to woo Doris Day. This bathtub scene is probably the best scene in the whole movie. I love watching their feet!
Rock Hudson finds out his time with her is coming to an end and takes her away to his friend's (Tony Randall) cabin for the weekend. Oh, it needs to be noted that said friend was dating Doris Day first and has found out about "Rex Stetson" and is going to pull the plug. Ah the irony!
...Just to put my arms around him takes about a week, but when I get my arms around we snuggle cheek to cheek. He's my roly poly baby, but so am I. I call him ya ya, Roly Poly!...
Tony Randall (Jonathan) figures it all out and confronts them all at his cabin. He's a little late because Doris Day has just found Rock Hudson's sheet music for "You are my inspiration" and has put two and two together as well.
Rock Hudson realizes he's in love with her and has to figure out a way to win her back. I love how this all works out!
"You love her and she can't stand you! Ha ha ha!"
"You've done a great job and as far as I'm concerned, you can charge admission!"
There's so much more that I didn't even touch, like the teeny tiny car, Tony, the elevator rides, the seduction apartment- before and after, the payoff, the obstetrician, 100 miles of crying, the fat lip, the little black book...
"Mommy, what's that man doing to that lady?"
"I'll tell you when you're older!"
"The people of Witchita Fall will never believe this!"
Needless to say, it should be quite obvious now, that I absolutely adore this movie. And if ever someone wants to watch it, I am all over that!

















2 comments:
Love this movie too. It just never gets old!
When I was younger (and more naive), I loved that Rock Hudson sang a song with my name in it. Then I when I learned he would never have been into me (or any other gal for that matter), it lost a little of its appeal.
But this is such a great movie. Tony Randall is the best.
Post a Comment