Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Phantom of the Opera 1990


What I liked: I really liked this version. I feel like they really took the time to develop this story and make it enjoyable. I loved the phantom! He was so charismatic and had such a mellow, soothing voice. You almost fall in love with him yourself. I liked all of the masks he wore. You knew by which mask he wore just what his mood was. He was never really creepy and even though he kills someone at the very beginning of this movie, it really doesn't taint your judgement of him. I think the suspense of what was behind his mask was well done in this one. And although my sister would disagree, I really liked that you didn't actually see him without mask. Burt Lancaster's character (Gerard) was great as well. I liked how he was able to give history to the phantom. I liked how he was the face for the opera management and the phantom was the brains behind it. Can I just Phillipe (Raoul) had fantastic hair!?! I liked the history between Christine and Phillipe in this version. It was interesting that both the Phantom and Christine lived in the opera house.

What I didn't like: All of the dead animals in the phantom's lair. It was super creepy. It's actually the only thing I remember from the first time I saw it. I wasn't a really pleased with the idea that Carlotta was part manager of the theater. She was married to the manager, so in essence she was the manager. I miss the humor that the two managers bring to the story.

Other notes: I saw this version once before, many years ago and honestly I don't remember liking it. So I was rather hesitant to watch it again. I'm glad I did, because it now ranks up next to the Andrew Lloyd Webber version.

Christine on her way to the Opera house

The Phantom

Christine

Gerard

Phillipe

"A hat do you think?" Getting ready for the picnic

Christine singing her love to the phantom

The phantom answering her song (Loved this part!)
Some publicity photos I liked


This says it's the trailer for this movie. I have my doubts about that, but it's a good intro to it and the best overview video I could find.

No comments: