Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Trip to Kansas: Day Three

What a great day! We all slept in until 10, it was wonderful. Then we made some microwave cinnamon rolls that I had them try. They loved them so much that they ended up getting a silicone bunt pan. About noon we headed out toward Kansas City. The gps took us on a little detour and we ended up in Parkville, Missouri. It was a good mistake because we were able to see some of the campus for Park University. This is their administration building. Isn't it great!





The is the view from the admin building.
Can you see the Missouri river in the distance?

We headed back to Kansas City and our first stop was the library parking lot. I know that sounds really silly, but honestly it was awesome! In the pictures below you can see it. We went inside the library and found out that they had the monks doing sand art there. It looked so great. I remember when they came SL. I loved it then too. We headed to the children's section of the library. This was one of my favorite areas. It was super colorful and everything was tailored to a child's scale.

We left the library and ventured around back to find some picturesque views of the city and its architecture. This part of the adventure was made even better when we found out that the ticket machine at the library parking lot was broken, so we had free parking.


Those really are books, with a staircase on either end. This is just the
parking lot. The library is the white building after the last set of stairs.


Aren't we just so cute?


Those stairs we were standing on really
looked like this. I think it's neat.


This ship was on display inside of the library.


This is the closing ceremony for the monk's sand art exhibit.


This is a close-up of the sand art on the table.


This was the ceremony from a different angle.


Here's me walking into the children's library.


This picture doesn't really show the scale too well,
but wood pedestal is only about 4 feet tall.


Neat wavy benches.


Em and Adam in one the nooks in the teen part of the library.


These are just some awesome views of the city.


After the library we headed over to the Plaza shopping center. It was filled with ritzy rich stores and restaurants. We stopped at Panera's for lunch. I had some tasty baked potato soup and a baguette. Also, did you know that Hallmark (as in Hallmark cards) had a department store? I didn't, at least not until I went inside. It's called Halls and has really fancy stuff. I was afraid they were going to charge us for just walking through.

Then we went house looking. I am so glad that Adam and Em enjoy house looking as much as me. Just across from the Plaza there is Ward Avenue (or Blvd, I don't remember). Below are some of the houses we found on this street. These are ALL single dwellings. Crazy huh?










Our stomachs eventually told us to stop, so we got back on the freeway and headed back to Olathe, Kansas. We stopped at Oklahoma Joe's and picked up some BBQ ribs, pork and brisket. I've never had ribs before, they were pretty good. We watched some more Chuck while we ate dinner and dessert - chocolate chip cookie dough and oreos. After all of that we just sat around talking the rest of the night.



No comments: