Starring: Greer Garson as Elizabeth and Laurence Olivier as Mr. Darcy
Things I liked: All in all this is a delightful movie. The costumes are gorgeous! (Even if not period appropriate!) Although it's not 100% true to the book, I like their changes. I like how Lady Catherine interrogates Lizzy on Darcy's behalf at the end. I love the look Darcy gives Lizzy when he tells her that it's the last time he'll see her. I liked the music a lot, especially Mr. Collins' theme! (It's actually the only theme I can remember and is stuck in my head at the moment.) Everyone is beautiful in this version - even Mary! I think it's funny that all of the girls have suitors by the end of the movie. Bingley is so cute when Jane gets sick. I love him peeking over the partition and explaining everything that the doctor says. I liked the over-animation or over-acting. In any other version it would have been farcical, but for some reason it just fit here. The party at Netherfield was certainly quite the event! I like Darcy and Lizzy's interactions during it. I liked how Mr. Bennet won't shake Wickham's hand when he returns married to Lydia.
Things I didn't like: My mom pointed out to me that the reason they could get so much in in such a short amount of time is because everyone talks so fast. And it's true. As usual Mrs. Bennet drove me crazy! Anne de Burgh was rather odd. She's supposed to be sickly, but she certainly didn't look it. Actually most of the time she was making nasty faces at people - Elizabeth especially. I feel bad that the meeting at Pemberley never took place. I so love that encounter! Mr. Collins was rather old. He's supposed to be 25, but in this version he looks about 40. I would have liked them to have developed Col. Fitzwilliam a bit more and I missed meeting Miss Darcy. The carriage race at the beginning was a little too much for me.
Other notes: I found out that a colorized version once played on tv. I wish I could have seen it - just to see the dresses!
During the first proposal
I thought that this was a funny poster
At Lady Catherine's
Lady Catherine
Mr. Bingley
Mr. Collins
Lizzy, Darcy, Jane and Bingley at the Netherfield party
Mary and Kitty with their suitors at the end
I love how passionate their kiss at the end was!
The Trailer:
Lady Catherine's Meddling











1 comment:
I will have to find a copy and watch this sometime. It looks very entertaining.
Post a Comment