Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies


I think it was almost sacrilegious to read this book directly following the original novel. It certainly made it harder to read in a sense and easier in another. Harder in that I knew what should have been written in some places and was not. Easier in that I could skim a fair amount. That being said, it still took me longer than I'd wanted to get through. To be fair this book had its' moments. I can think of two parts in particular that I laughed out loud at: Elizabeth returning his musket balls and the fight between her and Lady Catherine. On the other hand there are parts so gruesome I don't know if I'll ever get the mental images out of my brain. I did enjoy the fates of some of the characters, although I think the author should have had Miss Bingley contract the strange plague.

It's not a book I would ever read again, but it's not without its' value. If I were teaching P&P in a classroom I think I would allow my students to choose either the original or Zombies to read. If this book starts kids on a classical literature path, who am I to stop that. Overall, I did not enjoy it and was watching the percentage of the book completed go by on my kindle with interest and hope of a swift conclusion. It went so very slowly that I thought I might never finish. I would say to other potential readers: Read at your own risk!

No comments: