Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pride & Prejudice 1995


Starring: Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet and Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy


Things I liked: I should just say the last half and leave it at that, but I won't. After watching all of the movies I have to say there is a masculinity that Colin Firth brings to the role of Darcy that the others don't. (That's not to say they're at all feminine though!) I liked Lizzy's hair and all of her outfits - especially the dark teal long coat with the red/orange scarf and bonnet. I liked the flashbacks and voice overs and the overall presentation of Darcy's letter. I like how you get a peek into Darcy's life throughout this whole movie - the bath, the writing of the letter, sword-fighting, swimming in the lake, late-night strolls through Pemberley, and searching out Wickham and Lydia, to name a few. I like Darcy's restlessness during the first proposal and then seeing how upset Lizzy is when he leaves. I really liked Col. Fitzwilliam in this version. He seems to be the most friendly of them all. I like when Darcy admits to Bingley his actions/wrongdoings between Jane and Bingley. I really feel the friendship between the two of them in this movie. It just makes sense that they would be friends. Then there's Darcy's pinky ring. I don't know what it is, but I really like it! (Sir Percy has one in The Scarlet Pimpernel which is equally attractive!) And speaking of other shallow things, I really like Darcy's black slacks. All the men are wearing knee breeches, but a couple of times Darcy wears these black slacks that look fantastic! I love all of the scenes at Pemberley. My favorite being when he hands her into the carriage after the first meeting and she turns back. Actually that may be my most favorite moment in the whole show. The wedding at the end really is a great tie up for all of the characters.

There's some great quotable lines in this one:
"Shelves in the closet. Happy thought indeed!"
"Lady Catherine will never know"
"I knew how it would be!"

Things I didn't like: I feel there was more time spent then needed (or wanted) on the whole Lydia and Wickham affair. Although the second proposal is most gratifying, I just hate that Darcy doesn't take Lizzy's arm or holds her hand or takes off his hat. There's a lack of physicality during that scene that, to me, is a little unrealistic. The only thing that happens is that they walk a little closer to each other and look at each other more. I would have liked to see the mother's reaction to Darcy proposal. I find it so humorous in the book and wish it were in this one particularly. I don't think Jane is more beautiful than Lizzy. The only time I think she looks great is when all of her hair is wet. Although, she does have some very pretty gowns.


Other notes: This is the very first version I ever watched. I was a freshman in high school and had just finished the book. I almost stopped watching after the first tape (yes, we still watched VHS tapes back then and it was one episode per tape). Colin Firth was not the Mr. Darcy I had dreamed up when I read the book and I wasn't sure I could go through a whole movie (6 episodes and 5 hours long!) with him as Mr. Darcy. I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it in the end. It's funny because I think it was one of the pivotal moments in my life. (Don't laugh!) I can remember where exactly I was sitting and it was on a Saturday. I say it was pivotal because it started me on the path of Period Romance and I haven't looked back. And I owe it all to my friend Jill who recommended the book to read in the first place!

 Lizzy and Darcy

 The Bennet girls: Lydia, Lizzy, Jane, Mary and Kitty

 Mr. & Mrs. Bennet

 Mr. Collins

 Mr. Wickham

 Lady Catherine

 The Gardiners

 Darcy and Georgiana

 Jane & Bingley

 At the wedding: Georgiana, Caroline Bingley, Col. Fitzwilliam, Mr. & Mrs. Hurst and Charlotte

 The Double Wedding

 I liked these two pictures of Lizzy and Darcy


The Infamous Look at Pemberley

No comments: