Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pride & Prejudice aka First Impressions (1980)


Starring: Elizabeth Garvie as Elizabeth Bennet & David Rintoul as Mr. Darcy

I'm afraid I might have started with my favorite adaptation, but we'll see. There are so many things I like about this version. Where to start...

Things I like: This is the Mr. Darcy I saw when I read the book, so I'm a little partial to him. I like how warm he can be, especially at Pemberley and at the second proposal. I like Lizzy quite a bit as well. I like how you can hear her thoughts. I liked how Mr. Bingley looks like a love sick puppy. He's not my favorite Bingley, but I do like that look. I like how Charlotte Lucas is able to laugh at her husband (Mr. Collins). I like the perceptiveness of Mrs. Gardiner. The opening credits are quite enjoyable as well. I also like at the end when they discuss when they first fell in love with each other. I like the dinner at the Bennet's house when Bingley and Darcy come back at the end. I like how Lizzy barges in on Mr. Darcy to find her aunt and uncle to tell them Lydia's news. I love all of Darcy's mannerisms in that scene - especially what he does when he picks up her shawl. I love the lake on Mr. Darcy's property. I want to just row out and have a picnic on one of the 'islands.' Jane always has fantastic outfits.


Things I don't like: I don't like this Mr. Bennet. I think he's a little too cold to Mrs. Bennet. I hate most of Lizzy's outfits, specifically the high-necked ruffle ones. I wish there was a kiss at the end. Anne (Lady Catherine's daughter) is a little odd in this one. I don't understand why she holds Lizzy's hands when she leaves Rosings. I think it should be stated that I dislike Mrs. Bennet, Lydia and Wickham in every version, mostly because I despise their characters. I don't think the inside of Pemberley was as grand as some of the other versions. This version is does not have the best photography and the music leaves much to be desired as well.

Other notes: I think Mr. Collins has chicken legs.

Opening Credits

Lizzy and Jane

Mr. Darcy




A Fan Video

Meeting at Pemberley

No comments: