Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

How Much Is 40 lbs?

So the great news of the day: I have officially lost 40 lbs since August!!! I know, pretty amazing stuff. I'd like to say I'm doing all of these amazing things, but I'm not. I have my 12-15 servings of carbohydrates a day (a serving being 15 grams), I work out at the gym at least 5 days a week where I do about 30 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weightlifting and stretching and lastly my doctor figured out some medication that makes me less hungry. (I used to be hungry every two hours. Not just munchy, but like I've fasted for two days hungry - every two hours. It was horrible. But we figured out that there was a chemical problem between my stomach and my brain. They were not talking to each other. We figured this out because of an article I read in Time Magazine "The Science of Appetite." Thank you Kristy for telling me about it! Now I'm only hungry 3 times a day and even then I don't eat a whole lot.)

So last night I was feeling rather munchy. I had eaten dinner and I wasn't hungry, I just wasn't satisfied. I wanted a treat - cookies, ice cream, root beer float, brownie obsession at TGI Fridays . . . Anyway, there was this other part of me that was like "Ali, you really should have some apple sauce or some fruits and veggies - something healthy." Then I thought to myself "so far I haven't eaten a lot of fruits and veggies to lose the weight. Why start now? I can focus more on doing that when I start to plateau!" So I had a large cup of hot chocolate with marshmellows and a bowl of popcorn. It was just great. Not the brownie obsession mind you, but I wasn't awfully disappointed.

Just out of curiosity I went online to look for things that weighed 40 lbs. Here is what I found.



A really big Thanksgiving turkey



An enormous fish. It's almost as long as that man is tall!



An old-fashioned type writer.



The biggest rubber band ball I have ever seen! Yes that is a basketball next to it.



It's how much your child can weigh and still use a car seat. At 41 lbs it's time to get a new seat.



And lastly, it's how much your carry-on luggage can weigh when you fly American Airlines.

No comments: