Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Neither a borrower nor a lender be!

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be." I find this to be very sage advice. I have actually been thinking and frustrated about this very thing. If you're not to be a borrower or a lender can you be a sharer? What's the difference between borrowing, lending and sharing? Is there a difference? This is how I have it figured (correct me if you think otherwise): a borrower is really a user. They use and take. In one sense it is very nice to be a borrower because you never have to buy or make your own things - you use someone else's. In essence a borrower is a selfish person. A lender is one who has it and gives it. This person is always lending things to others usually in hopes of reciprocation. Lastly there is the sharer. I don't think being a sharer is possible without another person in the picture. Sharing is about giving and taking, both with mutual enjoyment. I love to share! I hate being a lender. I know, why am I babbling about this? Well I find myself in the position of being a lender quite frequently. Most times I really don't mind - what's mine is yours. Recently, as in two months ago, I let someone borrow something of mine. I have yet to receive it back even though I know that the person is done with it. They specifically told me they were finished. Yet, two months have passed and they still have not felt like returning it. I have called repeatedly and reminding them to no avail. I just don't get it. And mostly it just infuriates me. I guess I am just a conscientious person. I rarely borrow - yes, all you think back, how many times have borrowed from you? - but when I do I use and give it back in same if not better condition. I also feel that I have to reciprocate or at least give the other person collateral. Why do others not feel the same way? I am perplexed and yet also at the same time I know my answer. Neither of which are very satisfying. So I am taking the saying to heart. I am going to try hard not to be a borrower or a lender, but a sharer only.

No comments: