Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Setting up house

So I think you will find this rather silly, but this Christmas one of the things I really wanted was a set of dishes that I saw at Macy's. Every time that I passed them I had to pick them up and touch them. I loved them. The design was totally me. I told anyone who was with me when I passed these dishes that I really want them. I don't have my own house and I am not getting married/moving out anytime soon. With that said, I still really wanted these dishes. Well, between Santa and the New Year's fairy I now have a set of eight plates and mugs. Below is a picture of my china. The square plates with the mug on top - that is what I have. Isn't it just totally me?



In other random news. I just finished watching Sarah, Plain & Tall and Skylark. I don't think I've seen these for years. I am trying to figure out why it has taken me so long to watch them again. They were all sorts of wonderful. The stories are great and the romance is wonderful. The acting is very well done. They are just great movies. I enjoyed them immensely!

The other day I went to Arctic Circle for lunch with my mom and grandma. While I was sitting there eating my halibut and fries this guy comes in. He was tall and lanky. He was dressed a little like a mix between gothic and techie. I'm looking at him, thinking to myself that he reminds me of this kid I used to be great friends with in Junior High. We used to eat lunch together. We took similar classes. We talked on the phone at night. We emailed most days. I would say that we had been pretty good friends. Well, when we got to high school, mind you we both went to the same high school, we lost touch. He became super weird (although he was always sort of weird or quirky is a better word) and I got really into academics and music. So easily I have not talked to this guy for 10 years. (Wow, that's crazy to think in terms of that many years!) I am not a really gregarious soul by nature and I most certainly am not going to talk to some one on a whim, especially when I'm not even sure who they are. So I wait and watch. He moved a lot like this kid I knew and instinctively I would have bet money that I knew him. Well, they called his name and sure enough it was him. As he walked out the door with his lunch I felt this feeling of shame in myself. We had been such good friends and yet 10 years later I couldn't just go up to him and say hi. It's not like I was interested in marrying him - he's not my type., whatever that is. I just felt bad that I couldn't overcome myself and go and talk to him. It was a rather sad moment in my life that I haven't been able to get out of my mind since.

No comments: