Starring: Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew Macfayden as Mr. Darcy
Things I liked: I like all of the eye/facial expressions: Darcy's double take when he first sees Lizzy, when he hands her into the carriage (see picture below), when they're at church at Rosings, and when he brings Bingley back. Darcy is always so aware of Lizzy. I love Judy Dench as Lady Catherine! My favorite scene they added that wasn't in the book was Bingley and Darcy rehearsing the proposal at the end. I love Mr. Collins' little flowers. The first proposal is beautiful and so fraught with tension. I love that you get the feeling they might actually kiss- that whole fine line between love and hate. The scenery and music in this movie are just wonderful! I like Charlotte's backbone in telling Lizzy not to judge her for marrying Mr. Collins. I love how happy Darcy is at Pemberley. I like the relationship between Darcy and Georgiana. I like how love-sick Bingley is throughout the whole movie. Although Mr. and Mrs. Bennet's relationship is not like it is in the book, I like it better in this movie. I like watching Darcy pace back and forth while waiting for Lizzy to finish talking to her father.
Things I didn't like: Lizzy's hair always seems unkempt - well except at the balls. I don't like that Darcy first spies her in his house when she's touring Pemberley. It just seems more intrusive than being found in the garden. I don't like this Wickham as much. I just can't sympathize with him. (Not that I ever want to!) I don't like that Lizzy is in her nightdress when she meets him for the second proposal. There is a jacket, but I still feel she should have taken the time to at least put a dress on.
Love, love, love this scene! The focus on the eyes and hands!
Mr. Collins
Wickham (he was so much more attractive in The Young Victoria)
Darcy and Lizzy and the Netherfield ball
Lady Catherine (gotta love Judi Dench)
The first proposal. He looks like a little puppy!
Beautiful scenery! This is also my favorite part of the score.
Pemberley
I love how happy he is at Pemberley
Coming back (Darcy and Bingley)
Practicing Bingley's proposal
Bingley and Jane
The second proposal
Fun picture of the Bennet family
One of my favorite publicity photos
Trailer
The First Proposal


















3 comments:
I liked a lot of the same things as you, but I truly disliked the casting of Mr. Darcy. I never found him attractive, and he didn't seem old enough/experienced enough for all the deference people paid him. If they had cast someone else in that role, this might have been my favorite version of the book.
Doing my best to be objective—and fight popular opinion, as this version is so widely known—but the 2005 version is still my favorite; the best achievement in filmmaking, at least. (I'll concede a variety of other points to other versions, though).
It doesn't help that I can't really be objective, either, since the theatrical experience was perfectly timed to a season of my life, and so that first viewing was a vivid experience that hasn't been duplicated in other viewings or other versions.
Love these comprehensive reviews, by the way.
I love how emotional this version is. The awkwardness when Lizzy is "caught" by Darcy when she visits Pemberly is so contagious to the audience. Again as Lizzy is "stuck" at Netherfield while Jane recuperates and who doesn't feel totally embarrassed at the way Mrs. Bennett, Kitty and Mary all act at the Netherfield ball. The music certainly helps the passion in the first and second proposal! Wickham was much more of a man in "The Young Victoria!" I like this version but it does leave me wanting more from each scene.
Post a Comment